qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/hw mips_r4k.c

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/hw mips_r4k.c
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 21:11:48 +0200

Thiemo Seufer wrote:
Fabrice Bellard wrote:

CVSROOT:        /sources/qemu
Module name:    qemu
Branch:
Changes by:     Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden>  06/05/02 22:18:28

Modified files:
hw : mips_r4k.c
Log message:
        performance boost (on P4 hosts at least, rdtsc is a _very_ bad random
generator)

CVSWeb URLs:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/qemu/qemu/hw/mips_r4k.c.diff?tr1=1.15&tr2=1.16&r1=text&r2=text

Does this really provide a measurable performance improvement?
Real hardware simply increments cp0_random together with the cycle
counter, this is randomized enough for TLB entry replacement.

Unfortunately, at least on my P4 PC it is not random enough: it is always a multiple of two, so the number of TLBs is divided by two ! The speed improvement is _very_ noticeable.

Your patch to accelerate tlb_flush_page() is still interesting, but I would like to be sure that it does not reduce the speed of the x86 target. In particular, it could be possible to make it even faster by reducing the size of the memset by using a smarter hash for tb_jmp_cache (a few bit of the index could depend only on the memory page number).

Fabrice.