qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu, kqemu-1.3.0pre6 & freebsd

From: Bakul Shah
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu, kqemu-1.3.0pre6 & freebsd
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:16:49 -0700

First, thanks to Fabrice for releasing a new kqemu and
Juergen Lock for a prompt freebsd port update!  I did some
testing and have the following to report:

The good news:
- plan 9 works with kernel-kqemu and user-kqemu.
- user mode time in user/kernel kqemu mode is 1/3 of
  -no-kqemu case for plan 9 (I used "mk clean all" in
  /sys/src/9/pc dir as a benchmark).

Not so good news:
- compared to freebsd and other guests where we get over 10
  times performance improvement for usermode code, plan9 only
  gets about 3 times.
- elapsed time in user-kqemu is 2/3 of -no-kqemu for plan 9.
- elapsed time in kernel-kqemu is *six* times that of
  -no-kqemu.  system time in kernel-kqemu mode is *11* times
  that of -no-kqemu.

Bad news:
- FreeBSD4 guest image dies during boot in init when
  user/kernel kqemu is used.  It works in -no-kqemu mode as
  before.

- mouse scrolling is broken.  The mouse seems to think it
  is at a boundary while still in the middle of the qemu
  window.  You have to scroll it in the opposite direction
  beyond the qemu window boundary to fix this.

Win2k seems to work about as well as before (which is pretty
darn good!).

I wonder if the qemu port needs to be updated -- does the new
kqemu depend on changes made in qemu since 4/14 (the date of
freebsd port of qemu)?