qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SPARC iommu mapping

From: Joerg Platte
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SPARC iommu mapping
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:07:35 +0200

Am Dienstag, 11. April 2006 21:21 schrieb Blue Swirl:
Hi!

> Great work! Now the Debian 3.0r4 installer with 2.6.11+tcx kernel almost
> finishes. Performance is also much better.

I tried to boot a deb-bootstrapped SPARC image. But the first executed script
segfaults when executing another command in backticks. The same happens when
executing the bash and inside the bash another command. When the other
command exits the bash segfaults. Other shells like the csh or the tcsh don't
suffer from this problem.

After replacing the bash in the image with a minimal bourne compatible shell
qemu was able to execute all scripts in rcS.

Then I tried to track down this problem with gdb and strace. But
unfortunately, both are segfaulting, too. This makes debugging somewhat
harder... Now, I'll try to analyze the core files of the crashing programs to
get an idea what's going wrong. Or do you have any idea? What's the
difference between bash compared to other shells?

> There is some problem with CDROM access, the files on CD look corrupt,
> whereas the same image used as hdb works perfectly.

Strange. I started qemu with "-cdrom /dev/cdrom" and could see all contents
without a problem. What exactly did you try?

> Some comments on the code: Instead of adding s->bufstart, maybe you could
> use the s->rptr, as it is used for similar purpose for FIFO. Please add
> more spaces to conform to general code style.

OK, have a look at the attached patch.

> For even better performance, you could try to avoid the memory to buffer
> copy and give bdrv_read pointer to host memory.

Yes, I'll try this in the next patch :-)

regards,
Jörg