qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Network Performance between Win Host and Linux

From: Kenneth Duda
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Network Performance between Win Host and Linux
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:46:17 -0700

Thanks, Leo.  It appears your patch or something similar has made it
into 0.8.0.  I have already merged the select loops, but it didn't
help as much as I hoped, maybe 10%.  A much bigger improvement was
made by fixing the badly hacked slirp DELACK behavior.  Believe it or
not, slirp delays all TCP acks *unless* the segment data starts with
an escape character, I kid you not.  I threw that out, and have made
slirp's tcp_input rfc2581 compliant (to my shallow reading of the rfc)
and that boosted throughput from vm->host by 3.5x, to 56 megabits
(from 16 megabits).  The performance from host->vm was helped less,
and that was because of another hack in slirp that was causing it to
get the wrong MSS --- it was sending 512 byte segments.  Now, I'm
looking at excessive numbers of retransmissions (believe it or not)
--- I suspect the ne2000 ring buffer is overflowing but I'm not yet
sure.  I will post a patch including all of these things when I'm
done.  I'm expecting a significant aggregate improvement.

     -Ken