qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Network Performance between Win Host and Linux

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Network Performance between Win Host and Linux
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:28:28 +0100

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 18:20, Kenneth Duda wrote:
> I am also having severe performance problems using NFS-over-TCP on
> qemu-0.8 with a Linux host and guest.  I will be looking at this
> today.  My current theory is that the whole machine is going idle
> before qemu decides to poll kernel ring buffers holding packets the
> guest is transmitting, but if anyone has actual information, please
> let me know.

You could be suffering from high interrupt latency. If the guest CPU is not
idle then qemu only checks for interrupts (eg. the network RX interrupt)
every 1ms or 1/host_HZ seconds, whichever is greater.
If the guest CPU is idle it should respond immediately.
I wouldn't be surprised if this problem is worse when using kqemu.

Paul