qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:59:27 -0500

Leonardo E. Reiter wrote:
The Win4Lin Pro version is not a driver, but rather a high-priority Windows userspace thread. We try to avoid drivers as much as possible because they are a serious obstacle to supporting new Windows versions and service packs as they come out. I can't comment on VMware's approach to be honest.

I will say that using a device that has readily and/or publicly available drivers is probably ideal, such as a Wacom tablet. We are trying to move to more of a device model on Win4Lin Pro for performance reasons, which is why I am interested in this approach. But letting Microsoft maintain the guest driver, if it's built into Windows, is the best solution. It also guarantees the broadest possible guest support in general - whether it be Linux, Mac OS X, etc.

The driver isn't built into Windows. It's pretty easy to install though and the way my patch works, the PS/2 mouse is used until it detects the tablet has been enabled.

The Windows driver uses quite a bit more of the features of the tablet than the X driver so there's a bit more work to do but nothing extraordinary.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

If anyone has a link to Anthony Liguori's driver, I'd be glad to look into fixing whatever may be wrong with it and posting the patches.

Thanks,

Leo Reiter

andrzej zaborowski wrote:
I thought Anthony Liguori had already written a Wacom tablet emulator
for QEMU and that worked fine except it supports only one button. I
don't remember if this support was complete and I don't have a link to
the patch.

With this you don't need to disable mouse acceleration in the guest OS
because it makes no sense to accelerate a tablet.

On the other hand writing a guest-side driver for QEMU would leave
room for further improvements like hiding/showing or
grabbing/releasing the mouse at specific moments. Or, possibly reusing
tools from Win4Lin or VMtools from VMware.