qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:54:31 -0500

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Leonardo E. Reiter wrote:

this virtual Wacom tablet you refer to... is there a [free or built-in] Windows 2000/XP driver associated with it that supports either no acceleration and/or absolute positioning?

Frankly, I do not know if they are free. But as nobody pays me to play with QEmu, I do not care about Windows so much. And the Wacom drivers for Linux are free.

BTW I prefer a virtual wacom tablet to Summagraphics, since kudzu (the hardware detection which is used in Knoppix) can detect it. Unfortunately just the USB version :-(

The USB version of the wacom tablet is not documented. Only the older serial tablets are.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

If so, perhaps I can look at implementing it in QEMU in my "spare" time ;) Do you have a link to documentation and/or drivers?

Wow! What an offer! I have some documentation somewhere, I just had a look, and only found the Summagraphics documentation. I will look harder.

If the guest OS can't be easily told to not do any acceleration and/or use absolute cursor positioning rather than relative moves, it's not that helpful to have a new type of input device. I suspect a tablet driver can be easily configured this way since design people who probably use these devices want perfect precision between pointer and screen - otherwise they'd probably just use a mouse/trackball. But you can never be sure how Microsoft (or Wacom) decided to implement the Windows version of the driver.

My favourite cartoonist, Jamiri, is very proud of his Wacom tablet. IIRC, it has an integrated LCD display. So, I assume absolute positioning is automatically switched on with that tablet.

The mouse sync solution we have in Win4Lin Pro is okay, but it's a bit slow and I'd like to do something much cleaner. Of course if I do the wacom tablet implementation, it will be open source and part of QEMU itself.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Ciao,
Dscho