qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu - where will it go?

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu - where will it go?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:32:54 +0100

Hi,

> - define a protocol to use qemu over a network (should multiplex
>   video, sound, usb, serial and so on).
>
> So you see: in a commercial  and or industrial application one would like to
> run
> the qemus on a server. At least the MS remote desktop protocol should work
> well. A qemu specific client would be nicer.
>
> Please do not try to make the current qemu program a better GUI application -
> do it the other way: move SDL out of qemu and write an extra client app!

I'm not a QEMU developer but I don't think QEMU is seeking commercial
and or industrial popularity (I might be wrong though). Personally I'd
rather be trying to keep it small and do its own task well rather than
reimplement in QEMU parts of other programs' tasks. The universal
rules of writing cross-platform software clearly show that
dependencies on other packages (libraries, utilities) are a good
thing. It's also one of the UNIX traditions to have big tasks divided
into small parts and each of them be carried out by a different tool.
So I think the existing protocols should be used for remote control,
SDL supports several different frontends for audio and video and many
of them already offer full network transparency (X, esound), and for
USB, other, platform-specific mechanisms can be used for remote
devices (like the Linux network block/character devices support).

I agree with your other points.

Regards,
Andrew
--
balrog 2oo6

Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258