qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] OpenStep on qemu: Busmouse emulation patch

From: engel
Subject: [Qemu-devel] OpenStep on qemu: Busmouse emulation patch
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 18:56:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

some time ago, I read a posting here that described the
problems when trying to install OpenStep on qemu.

Running NeXT's OpenStep 4.2 OS on qemu was so far problematic,
since the PS2 mouse driver provided with OpenStep gets confused
by the emulation provided by qemu. This problem also occurs when
using several other emulators (at least vmware AFAIK) as well as with
some real PS/2 hardware devices.

Fortunately, OpenStep not only supports PS/2 mice, but, in addition,
also provides drivers for standard serial (RS232) and bus mouse
protocol mice. Thus, I developed a busmouse device emulation for
qemu.

See the attached patch for qemu-0.8.0 that implements busmouse
emulation. This currently disables the delivery of mouse events
to the PS/2 emulation by commenting out the corresponding line
in hw/ps2.c - there should probably be a command-line configurable
option that selects the desired mouse emulation. I'm also not quite
sure if I got the interrupt handling completely correct, so it would
be great if I could get some feedback on this topic.

Currently, the patch is only tested running qemu 0.8.0 on OS X using
the Cocoa UI variant.

During OpenStep installation, don't forget to remove the PS/2 mouse
driver from the system configuration, otherwise the mouse driver
in OpenStep defaults to PS/2. If you forget to remove the driver,
you can boot OpenStep in single user mode (boot option "-s") and
remove the corresponding entry from the Default.table resp.
Instance0.table config files in /usr/Devices/System.config

Using the CirrusLogic 5446 video driver provided by OpenStep, I
currently can only run the system in either 640x480 or 800x600
resolution using 8 Bit grayscale - higher video resolutions or
color depths generate a disturbed video image (didn't test on a non
OS X system so far, will check the behaviour under X11). This is
something I'll be looking into during the next weeks, if time permits.
I also couldn't find a driver for the emulated PCI NE2000 card, so
networking doesn't work. The SB16 emulated by qemu is supported
by an OpenStep driver, but I didn't test that so far.

OpenStep 4.2 seems to be quite stable running under qemu - I
compiled C/ObjC code for several hours without a problem.

If you have any questions or comments regarding this patch, don't
hesitate to contact me.

Michael
--
Dr. rer. nat. Michael Engel   - address@hidden
University of Marburg         - Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science