qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Location of temporary file for sectors on Windows (XP)

From: W. Craig Scratchley
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Location of temporary file for sectors on Windows (XP)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:58:34 -0800

The user manual reads:

If you use the option `-snapshot', all disk images are considered as read only. When sectors in written, they are written in a temporary file created in `/tmp'.”

On Windows (XP), however, I am getting files of the form s??? in the C:\ directory.  This is causing problems at SFU because student accounts don’t have write access to the C:\ directory and this seems to be causing Qemu to immediately crash.

Note that I do have a directory C:\tmp, but it is not being used for this temporary file.  Also, my system has environment variables TMP and TEMP, and these are not being consulted.

Then, I entered the following line:

set QEMU_TMPDIR=c:\tmp

But this also had no effect.

Finally, note that the s??? files in my C:\ directory are not being deleted by Qemu, which means an arbitrary amount of space can get taken up by the files over time.

Seems like an issue which has not yet been addressed for Windows builds.

Thanks,

     Craig Scratchley, Simon Fraser University

p.s.  I am now successfully using Qemu for QNX 6.3.0 as a guest (seems I must use the –isa option for Qemu to get networking).  The –loadvm option is great, as QNX is very slow to boot in QNX (it is much faster for me in Bochs).