qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] patch for qemu with newer gcc-3.4.x (support repz retq

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] patch for qemu with newer gcc-3.4.x (support repz retq optimization for amd processors correctly)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:44:04 +0000

> The use of gcc to generate the back end in QEMU's early days was a
> clever way to get the project up and running quickly.  But surely
> now it would be better to transition to a handwritten backend, so

It should be trivial to take the _currently_ generated GCC code for
all the architectures QEMU is commonly built on, and just distribute
that code with the QEMU source.

Then it would be independent of future changes to GCC.

I understand a handwritten backend is already being written.  But
until a proper one is done, wouldn't that serve as a useful stopgap?

-- Jamie