qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and (Pacifica | Vanderpool)

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and (Pacifica | Vanderpool)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:01:59 -0600

Mark Williamson wrote:

qemu is an emulator, not a virtualizer, so these extensions don't really
help.

They could be leveraged by kqemu one day...

/me thinks we'll see a rash of Linux kernel "hypervisor modules" when VTX / SVM hardware is available.
Indeed. I've already started my own ;-) My initial guess is that the kqemu/qvm86 model would work quite well extended for VT/SVM.

That is, a kernel driver that provides a memory area that can be read-from/written-to in userspace, and then an ioctl interface that blocks while running code and returns when a sensitive instruction is hit. It probably makes sense to handle most of the stuff in kernel space (shadow paging and such) and just return to userspace for IO operations.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,
Mark