qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] USB support

From: Volker Ruppert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] USB support
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:31:24 +0100

Hi,

> The following features are implemented:
>
> - PCI UHCI USB controller (I finally decided to implement UHCI because I
> know it better than OHCI and because Bochs has a similar driver. Of
> course it would still be very interesting to have an equivalent OHCI
> controller for non PC targets and an EHCI controller for USB 2.0 devices).

I compared the Qemu USB controller with the Bochs one using Ralph Brown's
pcifg utility and found two different things.
- Bochs USB appears at function 2 of the PIIX3
- Bochs USB uses PIRQ line INTD
You can find both things in the PIIX3 documentation.

I tried the Qemu USB implementation with Win98 here. The hubs are detected
correctly, but it makes Win98 hang on shutdown.

> - Linux host USB redirector to use the USB 1.1 host devices which are
> not requested by the host OS (i.e. no host driver is loaded for them).
> It is *very* limited and buggy at the moment, but I was able (once !) to
> mount a disk-on-key flash device.

I guess the host OS doesn't like modifing data on a mounted devices. It might
be okay for input-only devices. I cannot try it here, since it requires root
permissions.

--
Bye

Volker