qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] USB support

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: [Qemu-devel] USB support
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:45:45 +0100

Hi,

I just commited an initial USB support for QEMU. This USB layer will ultimately enable QEMU to use some host USB devices and to simulate USB devices.

WARNING: the current USB support is for USB hackers only - it is not meant to be fully usable yet.

The following features are implemented:

- PCI UHCI USB controller (I finally decided to implement UHCI because I know it better than OHCI and because Bochs has a similar driver. Of course it would still be very interesting to have an equivalent OHCI controller for non PC targets and an EHCI controller for USB 2.0 devices).

- Virtual USB 1.1 hub.

- Linux host USB redirector to use the USB 1.1 host devices which are not requested by the host OS (i.e. no host driver is loaded for them). It is *very* limited and buggy at the moment, but I was able (once !) to mount a disk-on-key flash device.

I plan to implement a USB mouse device as in Bochs just to have at least one "useful" virtual USB device to play with. Anyone is free to implement other devices by looking at the USB hub implementation in usb.c.

Fabrice.