qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Partition editing, is this a qemu / bochsbios issue?

From: Jan Grant
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Partition editing, is this a qemu / bochsbios issue?
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:49:40 +0000 (GMT)

Running qemu 0.6.1+20050407 with bochsbios 2.1.1+20041109, under Debian
running the 2.6.8 kernel (debian calls this 2.6.8-16) on x86 as both
host and the on the emulated machine.

I am seeing an odd issue with parted, fdisk, etc, and anything else that
uses the BLKRRPART ioctl to reread the partition table.

The issue is this: if I use (any) partition editor to edit the partition
table, then primary and extended partition changes are not visible to
the guest OS until after a "virtual" reboot. However, if I edit
"logical" partitions (/dev/hda5 etc) within a preexisting extended
partition, the BLKRRPART ioctl correctly picks up the changes.

There are a number of pieces to this puzzle so I'm looking for expert
input as to whether this is an expected artifact of running under qemu.

Many thanks for any help,
jan

PS. I'd appreciate a direct CC: on any responses.

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
It's a sad fact that the word "semantics" seems to have lost all meaning.