qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] User-space emulation on Mac OS X to run Mac OS X Intel

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] User-space emulation on Mac OS X to run Mac OS X Intel applications
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:52:51 +0100

> (1) I believe there is an m68k target being worked on, which is not
> strictly linux only. I haven't looked at it very closely and am not sure of
> the details. But this doesn't really help you anyways.

The m68k target supports a very simple semihosting syscall layer, similar to
the the "angel" swi interface already implemented on Arm targets. Neither of
these help darwin emulation.

It's worth noting that OSX has two types of syscalls. IIRC one uses positive
syscall IDs, th other negative:
- The Darwin syscalls.  Thees are more-ore-less the same as the linux layer,
and should be fairly easy. You can also examine/borrow from the open source
Darwin kernels.
- The Mach syscalls, and all the message passing bits (eg IOkit). Some (many?)
of these are proprietary. Might not be too hard to pass these through to an
OSX host, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Paul