qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Read/Write to shares on Windows (XP Pro) host from Wind

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Read/Write to shares on Windows (XP Pro) host from Windows (2000 Adv) guest.
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:26:13 -0700

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 19:23 -0700, Francois Rioux wrote:

> I don't understand why this doesn't work. Is it Windows preventing the
> write is the exchange this a limitation in QEMU or in SLiRP?  As I
> understand it SLiRP translates some tcp headers and acts as a firewall
> preventing incoming calls but autorizes outgoing calls from the guest
> out.  That's why web browsing works in user network mode.  Should't
> file transfer work too?  Is the network file sharing protocol more
> complex than that for writes? Or is that rather a Windows security
> issue?

Could be an authentication issue. Probably you should be typing in the
fully qualified username and password into the net use command

net use z: \\10.0.2.2\MyShare /USER:domain\username password

or just

ctrl-esc->Run->  \\10.0.2.2\MyShare<ENTER> and type the fully qualified
username and password at the prompt.

After making the share connection, what do you get as output when you
just type

net use<ENTER>

Knowing a bit about the NetBT protocol and the stunning quality of the
Slirp NAT code I'm kind of surprised that it works at all.

CIFS requires some assistance from an application level gateway (ALG) to
work well across a NAT. In the direction you're going (guest to host)
there are less problems, but I think there are still NAT issues with
browsing and name binding; but then you're using IP addresses rather
than names so it may not matter.

If none of the above works, I'd look at it with a snooper on either side
of the connection (in the guest and on the host), and see what packets
are getting dropped (shows up on one side of snooper but not the other)
or improperly NATed (private IP addresses leak out either in headers or
in packet payload onto the host network).

You might also try port forwarding the NetBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP, aka
CIFS) TCP and UDP ports. See RFCs 1001, 1002 for port numbers.

-- John.