qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] resize an image

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] resize an image
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:35:42 -0400

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:56:24AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did create some time ago an 2GB image via dd. Now I have to realize
> that I on ly ndeed 1,1 GB is there a way to shrink the sizes of my
> image?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Michael

This is unusual. Most people ask if they can enlarge them.

The easy way, if you are using raw format, is just to use dd to make the smaller
sized file and then fix the partition table. A defrag might be helpful.

The hard way is to make a new blank disk image of the right size, and then to
create the partition table and file systems in the new disk image, and then
copy everything over.