qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: file system sharing

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: file system sharing
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:01:29 -0400

Mark Williamson wrote:
If only one machine (host or guest) has mounted the device then it should always be safe to do this. You may get away with read only mounting in one and writing in the other but it's not a reliable solution. Never allow more than one writer to the filesystem - this does bad things to your filesystem!

I am well aware of these issues having worked on filesystems in the 1980s and having designed and built one of the first RPC based networked filesystems in the late 80s for a CAD/CAM company. To this day the nova architecture gives me the willies.

I suspect based on a comment that someone else made about caching that I would need some sort of event to trigger a flush either by an explicit flush call or a close. Would unmounting the disk image create such an event?

If you're using a file-based disk and it's partitioned you'll need to use lomount http://www.dad-answers.com/qemu/utilities/QEMU-HD-Mounter/lomount/ to mount the right partition in the host.

so what I can do is create the partition image on the host, start up qemu with that multi-partition disk image, do what I need to in qemu, shut down qemu and then I have a modified disk image. if I need to modify it from the host, then I can use lomount to make it accessible as the local filesystem.

Very cool.

one more question on this theme. How do I know when the guest OS has finished booting? The reason I ask is I am planning on using ssh to perform various operations on the guest OS once it's up.

ideally, I would like to "import" my flash memory device into the guest
OS side (USB based) but if I can create a "virtual" flash disk and when
I'm done modifying it, physically copy the file based image to the
physical flash, I would be happy.

I imagine just giving the guest access to the device file would work.

I'm not entirely sure how to do that.  would I just do something like:

-hdc /dev/sda1

as part of the command line?

HTH,
Mark