qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] news on the OS X cocoa port

From: Hetz Ben Hamo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] news on the OS X cocoa port
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:46:30 +0200

On 7/21/05, Mike Kronenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
>
> >I just looked at the screenshots, and if you don't mind, I want to
> >offer few suggestions for your GUI:
> >
> >1. RAM size - how about adding up/down arrows (in addition to what you
> >have right now) to increase RAM?
> >

> Good Idea. How should they id/decrement the value? One by one or
> doubling the Value?

My suggestion - by 8MB incrememental steps, but allow the user to type
a number in case someone wants type a specific number.

> >2. Instead of Radio buttons in the Floppy/CDROM/Hard drive, I would
> >suggest to replace it with Check Boxes, so the ones that are not
> >needed by the user, will be grayed out until the check boxes will be
> >marked.
> >

> I look into that. Have You an Idea how we could optimize the choosing of
> cd-rom and cd-rom-image.

Sure. A simple pull down menu instead of the ... circle button, where
you have 2 options:
* Physical Media
* Other (ISO) ....

If the user selects Other (ISO) - a sile selection could appear to
select an ISO and then appears. If the user selects "Physical Media" -
the device name appear in the selection.

> [snip]
>
> I'd like to keep the Panel as easy as possible, so "normal" Users won't
> be destracted by to much options.
> Probably I'm gonna ad '-localtime', '-smb', and
> '-user-net'/'-dummy-net', since I activate them by default.

I think Localtime, should also be a checkbox item (in a seperate
line), and user-net / dummy net should be a radio button selection,
but all of them should be hidden until the user press the "Advanced.."
button.

> I'm thinking of a new way to store the images and saved VMs, too.
> Maybe we could make something like vpc: A package with the config,
> disk-images and saved VMs, located in ~/Documents/QEMU PCs/

Nice idea.

Hetz