qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN

From: Bakul Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Connecting vde and LAN
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:27:42 -0700

> DHCP is Ethernet broadcast based, not IP.

Not that it matters in this case but strictly speaking DHCP
is an IP protocol, using UDP as its transport and the request
goes to IP broadcast address of 255.255.255.255.

> You could also run a local DHCP server on tap0, configured with the
> address scope you have set up proxy-arp for.

You can run a local DHCP server and NAT.

On FreeBSD I assign an IP address like 172.20.0.1 to the
*bridge* interface on the host on startup so that samba and
dhcpd can bind to it.  When qemu is started /etc/qemu-ifup
makes the new tap device a bridge member.  I imagine Linux
has something similar....