qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] make qemu use tap0 instead of tun0

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] make qemu use tap0 instead of tun0
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 07:03:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:

When in tuntap mode, qemu creates a tap device with names like tun0, tun1,
etc. which seems to confuse some users (the smart ones who ask why qemu uses
IP frames instead of ethernet frames ... or something along those lines).
Theses should be named tap0, tap1, etc. This patch fixes qemu.

My understanding was is that tunX is the tun/tap driver (/dev/net/tun), while tapX is the older ethertap driver (/dev/tapX), but looking closely at the tun/tap driver you seem to be correct. As I almost always specify explicit device names (i.e. qemuX for qemu connections) I never really cared what the defaults were.

A simpler patch would be to not specify a device name template at all. This lets the tun/tap driver select whatever it feels suitable for the type of device created, defaulting to tap%d for TUN_TAP_DEV devices.

Regards
Henrik