qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] gtk2 driver

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] gtk2 driver
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 19:03:06 -0400

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 11:10:26PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> >>Otherwise, just use plain X11 calls to change resolution (via XRandr or
> >>via
> >>Xvidmode). The problem being always to properly 'align' this window to be
> >>the only one on screen.
> >

> If GTK cannot support correct full screen output, then it is perfectly
> acceptable to do direct X11 calls thru DGA/Xvidmode for example.
>
> Fabrice.
>
> >This is also doable, but it is less portable (e.g. it wouldnt work on
> >Windows).

Ok this is what I've decided to do. In order to ensure that gtk2.c will work on
windows, I have decided to keep the fullscreen code separate.

There will be a fullscreen.h that defines the 4 functions that gtk2.c depends
on, and there will be a fullscreen "driver" of the name <library>_fs.c that
implements these functions.

I've written an xvid_fs.c which implements fullscreen mode via the Xvidmode
extension as well as a null_fs.c which doesn't do anything.

This way, Linux/FreeBSD/etc users can use the xvid_fs driver to get fullscreen
mode with gtk and Windows users can use the null_fs driver to use gtk mode.

The idea is that someone could implement a win32_fs driver that would enable
fullscreen mode in Windows. I do not know enough about win32api programming to
write this myself.

If gtk mode is enabled, the configure script will select the correct driver
by default (xvid_fs on unix, null_fs for everyone else) but there will be an
option to override this.

I have a few kinks to work out (plus some configure/Makefile diffs to write)
but expect a patch and the new files in a few hours.

On a side note, has anyone tried to use the gtk2 driver on windows? If so, can
you tell me what happened?