qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Laptop Idea

From: Thomas Steffen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Laptop Idea
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 22:07:27 +0200

> Ben;
> Unfortunately, there aren't too many disk imaging programs I'd recommend.
> Both Norton Ghost (the old version) and DriveImage (the old version) have
> problems.  And I certainly wouldn't recommend the new versions.  None of the
> opensource stuff I've seen know how to burn to cd/dvd.

I agree here. Norton really seems like technology from the past (DOS,
16bit mode etc).

But I can recommend two programs. The first ist OSS: partimage. It
certainly has its limitations (e.g. it does not know anything about
Windows specials, such as the security ID), but it works from any live
Linux systems, which makes it indefinately more powerful than the
competitors.

The second one is BootItNG from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/. It
is a partition tool, bootloader and image manipulation program. A time
limited test version is available, which should be enough for a one
off partition manipulation. It does not run on top of an OS, but it
still has a number of nice features, including burning to CD (DVD?).

HTH

Thomas