qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] option -no-tsc for i386 with speedstep

From: Filip Navara
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] option -no-tsc for i386 with speedstep
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:38:42 +0200

Jonas Maebe wrote:

On 25 Apr 2005, at 22:17, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:

In the meantime until we find a better solution could you give us some
explanation on why using a microseconds clock from gettimeofday instead
of rdtsc the guest os clock runs always 20% slower?

Because a system call (which gettimeofday is) is very slow (two context switches).

I remember there was a Linux patch which changed the gettimeofday function to read the info from user mode shared page (which is updated by the kernel) and thus avoided the syscall overhead. Not sure if/when it was integrated into the official sources...

(Once again Windows NT were ahead of time with this idea implemented way earlier ;-)

- Filip