qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] X86_64 (AMD64) build segfaults

From: Jonas Maebe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] X86_64 (AMD64) build segfaults
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:12:10 +0200

On 22 apr 2005, at 17:41, address@hidden wrote:

Hello Jonas, here is the output of the command you gave me for this function, does this help ?

It helps in the sense that it confirms my suspicion, although I don't know why it creates such convoluted code. Maybe in order to have as small code as possible with at the same time as many aligned jump targets as possible. It's definitely not trivial to parse this, and even less trivial to rewrite it so it is usable for qemu's purposes (in this particular case, the retq could be replaced by a jmp, but you can't count on there being 4 padding bytes after each ret).

You (or someone else) will have to find a way to force gcc 4.0 to put one ret (or jump) at the very end of the code it generates. If that's not possible, it will be quite hard to support gcc 4.0 in qemu...

Jonas