qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] both kqemu and qvm86 fail to build against kernel 2.6.4

From: William barath
Subject: [Qemu-devel] both kqemu and qvm86 fail to build against kernel 2.6.4
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 02:45:02 -0700

"William barath" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've tried recently to build both qvm86 and kqemu kernel modules with
> identical results...
>
> Instead of building the module, it builds ALL other kernel modules. Luckily
> this only takes a few minutes on the second and third attempt!

don't know anything about the qvm86 module, but the kqemu
module is supposed to be dropped into the qemu source
directory as a subdirectory called kqemu.  You rerun
configure with the kqemu parameter and it should build.
the only thing you have to do with the install after it

modprobe is a waste of time when no module exists to load.  But thanks
for the spirit of your reply.  I followed the steps as laid out in the
README, renamed the kqemu dir to 'kqemu' within 'qemu' so that
./configure could find it, ran it, it replied that it would build with
support for kqemu, then I ran make as user and it died when it tried
to PATCH THE KERNEL SOURCES because it ignores the P=`pwd`
and proceeds to build in /usr/src/linux/mod... so I figured the
documentation was wrong and built as root (shudder) and that
worked... to rebuild all the kernel modules and not kqemu.

'make install' proceeds to install it but dies at the very end trying to
copy the unbuilt kqemu.ko.

I don't think you need to install a new kernel.  Just
put the kqemu module in your source directory for
qemu and reconfigure-make-install

I didn't try anything fancy moving the sources and makefiles
around until after I'd cleanly reinstalled the sources and built and
failed 3 consecutive times.  This is a definite no-go.

This kernel has worked so nicely for me for so long, hate to
replace it, hate to reboot!  ;-)

- Wil