qemu-devel

Re: Re: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Linux TUN/TAP

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: Re: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Linux TUN/TAP
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:10:27 -0400

Laurent Amon <address@hidden>

> On 15 avr. 05, at 22:07, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > The SLiRP solution for QEMU is great if a user want to connect to the
> > net and browse, do some updates, etc, but it's not a good solution if
> > someone want to stuff like:
> >
> > * Connect to host OS
> > * Connect to other machines in the LAN
> > * Use services from host OS
> >
> > For the things in the list above to make them work, the solution is to
> > use TUN/TAP and/or VDE. These are great solutions  - but setting them
> > up is quite a challange for people who are nor familiar (or doesn't
> > have a big knowledge) with Linux.
> >
> I don't really follow you. I believe Slirp is OK when you want to
> connect from the guest to the host or the net at large. Didn't you mean
> "guest" instead of "host" in the sentences above?

I've been using QEMU for a couple of weeks, but I've
had good success getting telnet, ftp, ssh back into
the guest OS working with SLiRP.  It did take a few
tries to get into the guest, though I had to use the
local network (physical) address instead of localhost,
because the packets coming into the guest had a source
of 127.0.0.1 when I used localhost.  And using passive
mode with FTP.  Obviously, running multiple sessions
on the host even with directors can be tricky with
things like ssh, since the host key is based on the
IP address.  Though I suppose you could get around
that by just using a virtual IP on the host to
be used for each guest os.  (I'll have to try this,
it just dawned on me that this could be a work around
to get between guested OS's on the same host)

Ben

Ben