qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Suggestion - trap window-close of VM

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Suggestion - trap window-close of VM
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:52:19 +0100

> This isn't working quite right for me with a Windows 98 guest -- it
> traps the attempt to close the window all right, but it doesn't let
> the window close even when Window 98 has in fact shut down.

As far as qemu is concerned there's nothing special about windows being "shut
down". ie. it's not possible to tell if windows is doing something useful, or
just sitting there waiting for you to turn it off.

> I wonder
> whether this is related to the "Windows 98 doesn't use the HLT
> instruction" problem that is noted elsewhere (since that apparently
> doesn't affect Windows 2000).

No. the HLT thing is just windows 9x being crap. It also happens on real
hardware.

In theory windows should be able to "turn off" qemu using APM, like it does on
real machines. However there seem to be bugs in the qemu implementation that
stop this working.

Paul