qemu-devel

KQEMU on FreeBSD partially works. (Was: [Qemu-devel] Accelerator for Fre

From: Antony T Curtis
Subject: KQEMU on FreeBSD partially works. (Was: [Qemu-devel] Accelerator for FreeBSD?)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:57:33 +0000

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 19:42 -0600, Ryan Rempel wrote:
> There is a reference here [1] to the possibility of porting the
> Accelerator to *BSD by porting a small "C stub".
>
> Is anyone working on this at the moment? If not, would it be possible
> to make the "C stub" available so that someone could give it a try?
> I'd be interested in taking a crack at it myself, but there may be
> others better situated (I've not done FreeBSD kernel development
> before, but I have done some Darwin kernel development).
>
> That's assuming that the reference is at all accurate :-)
>
> [1] http://www.dad-answers.com/qemu-forum/viewtopic.php?t=333

I have made some headway... The attached stub appears to work but in my
limited testing so far, it may be a bit unstable. The driver stub is for
FreeBSD 4 (tested on 4.9) and I may work on a 5.3+ one soon.

YMMV. Use with caution...

Simply copy the attached files into the same directory that the kqemu
distribution is untarred and build with

# make -f Makefile.bsd

Install  with

# make -f Makefile.bsd
# kldload kqemu

You will need to create the /dev nodes

# mknod /dev/kqemu c 250 0 root:wheel
# chmod ug+rw /dev/kqemu

--
Antony T Curtis, BSc.                   UNIX, Linux, *BSD, Networking
address@hidden            C++, J2EE, Perl, MySQL, Apache