qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Note on kqemu for Win4Lin users.

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Note on kqemu for Win4Lin users.
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:02:31 +0100

Dear List,

This small note to help users of Win4Lin trying to use QEMU with kqemu : either mki-adapter or Win4Lin (device drivers used by Win4Lin) probably uses major 250, hence prohibiting use of kqemu.ko. A temporary fix is to unload them (/etc/rc.d/init.d/Win4Lin stop). After that, qemu uses kqemu (no more "incompatible kernel" message), and works like a charm.

I have not yet done real tests, but my first impression is that the real fix to the drivers problem is to drop Win4Lin entierely : QEMU with kqemu seems a better solution (may even be faster, at first sight) to my needs...

A big "thank you" to Fabrice Bellard, and best whishes to him in its research of a sponsor. I think that a commented and (L)GPLed version of his programs would be a veritable boon for Free|OpenSource software community and users.

Sincerely,