qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:11:44 -0500

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:49:36AM -0600, address@hidden wrote:

> > As a last resort, perhaps try to build the latest CVS source using the
> > following instructions:
>
> I'd rather not build my own.  I don't have any compilers even installed.
> Been a while since I've done any programming at all and I just don't bother
> to keep the stuff around.  So I'd have to download it all first.  Too much
> trouble when cvs builds are already built and made available.
>
> If it's a build problem, then those builds need to get fixed.  That'd help
> everybody, not just me.
>
> But with two different build sources having the same problems, I doubt it's a
> build problem.

I have to agree here. The one major windows developer who I have spoken to keeps
his own qemu source tree, independent of the CVS. (I don't think his tree is
an option for you to test out however, as it is in source only and I believe
you'd need a copy of Visual Studio to compile it.)

Evidently, we don't have enough qemu-win32 users or developers, if it takes us
this long to hear that the build is broken. :/

I do know of a few others who use qemu on windows host, but they all compile
from source and they only run linux guests. (I am curious why someone would
want to run Windows inside of Windows. Are you being a very thorough beta tester
(which we need), or do you actually have use of such a configuration?)

> It's pretty clear that the Windows builds are significantly broken.  Or else
> qemu just flat out doesn't like anything but Linux guests.

On a linux host, windows 2000, windows 98se, freedos, and
msdos 6.22 all work fine, so this is most likely a windows-host specific
problem.

Just curious, have you tried running a Linux guest on these builds? If so, what
was the result?