qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] More flexibility about IDE devices

From: Pascal Terjan
Subject: [Qemu-devel] More flexibility about IDE devices
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:58:48 +0100

Hi,
first, thanks for the great work of coding qemu. The result is really nice !
I currently found only 2 functionnalities missing for my various uses of qemu :
- having the cd-rom somewhere else than hdc as I need to have hda+hdc
as hard drives for a project I work on
- a PXE capable network card

For the first problem, I found that the problem is only in options
handling and that it works fine with CD-ROM somewhere else. I wrote a
small patch for my own use and I think it's not the best way to handle
this (especially 0/1 for ide drive type is not nice). However I post
it here as it could be usefull for some people.

I can now have for example primary slave and secondary slave to be
CD-ROM drives with only a media in the secondary slave by running :

qemu -hda hda.img -hdc hdc.img -hdd my_other.iso -hdbtype 1 -hddtype 1

For the second problem there is much more work so I use instead a
floppy image with a grub to netboot :-)