qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Can't extract image using 7-zip

From: Ed
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Can't extract image using 7-zip
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:02:06 +1300

Hello. Bit of a newbie question I'm afraid, but I've spent hours trying
to figure this Qemu thing out!

I have been trying to mount the Mandrake 10.1 FreeOSZoo image onto Qemu
0.6.1 under Windows XP. My basic problem is that once I extract the
<image>.tar.bz2 to make it <image>.tar, using 7zip, I can't then repeat
the process to get the final <image>.img file that I seem to require in
order to fire it up in Qemu. Is there a simple solution to this? 7zip
just tells me that the .tar file is not a valid archive.

I've also had trouble getting Qemu to launch properly using, for
example, a Knoppix .iso image. Like I say, I've spent ages trying to get
to grips with the Qemu information that is around the place, so does
anybody know of a good place for me to start looking for some simple
newbie guidance?

Many thanks, in advance.