qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: virtual vfat support

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: virtual vfat support
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:25:04 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I uploaded a new patch (called version 4 for internal reasons):

http://libvncserver.sf.net/qemu/qemu-vvfat4.patch.gz

It support Win guests and hosts now.

Why didn't it work with FreeDOS? First, I forgot to set total_sectors,
cyls, heads and secs in the BlockDriverState structure. Those are only
needed for accesses via the emulated BIOS, which Linux doesn't do. When I
wrote the cloop and the dmg driver, I only tested with Linux, and those
were fine.

It still didn't work with Win95; I forgot to set the magic first three
bytes of the boot sector. After I fixed that, I still got only the short
names, because I forgot to upcase the short name. This is fixed, too.

I also added name mangling for the short names, so that two different
direntries are guaranteed to have different short names.

I will probably not work on it for a couple of days, in order to do some
real work, so if you want to tackle write support or FAT12 or floppy (no
mbr), go ahead.

Ciao,
Dscho