qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 disk full problem during install...

From: Leo Whitman
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 disk full problem during install...
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:15:52 -0500

Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:

O my God!
This problem consists not in these flags, you looked corrections
to the previous version of the ide emulator.
I have made new hack specially for elimination of a Subject problem only.

And it works as expected - thank you.

This correction adds waiting one (or zero, autorandomly) period before
sending interruption after positioning before write. (see attach)
But this a HACK, do not use after w2k install!

Can you explain why we shouldn't use this other than for win2k install? I'm not too familiar with the IDE emulation and am not sure what the consequences would be. Of course, it is easy to disable at run time by just setting s->ide_set_irq_from_timer = 0. I am just trying to understand more about this - what the real problem seems to be, what the danger of using this hack after install is, etc.

Me other idea interested - to make asynchronous input-output.
The received effect of elimination of a Subject problem was
completely unexpected.

I will investigate your AIO solution as well - do you feel that it is more correct than this non-AIO patch?

<snip>

Thank you,

Leo Whitman