qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] building a virus-proof PC with Qemu

From: Piotras
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] building a virus-proof PC with Qemu
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:37:41 +0100

Hi!

In fact I thought about the idea in context of military/classified
environment. However the technology could be interesting to
large corporations as well. Especially that Qemu performance
may justify this in not-so-distant future.

The technology could be transparent to the operating system
(build into qemu-softmmu). I don't see why this shouldn't work
with Windows. The "trusted" flag is not visible for the guest
(it's stored in "hidden" part of qemu disk image, "hidden"
registers, and "hidden" RAM area). The flag could be handled
transparently by Qemu, except that when trying to execute
"untrusted" code it could just generate illegal opcode exception.

The extension to the original idea could be to trace sensitive
(classified) data to for example block all ethernet frames that
may contain sensitive data from leaving the system.

How to mark data as "trusted"? There are many possibilities.
For example when inserting CD-ROM we could have a checkbox
(handled by host) to mark all data read from CD-ROM as
"trusted". Another possibility is to have a special utility running
inside the guest that could tell Qemu that a given file (set of
bytes on disk) contains classified data.

Regards,

Piotrek