qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?

From: Hetz Ben Hamo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:01:09 +0200

> > in both cases, the only way to bypass this problem is by using the
> > -hdachs parameter..
> > Why? what has changed that broke the normal behavior? how can it be fixed?
>
> My quick and dirty fix of commenting out the call to bdrv_set_geometry_hint in
> line 1898 of hw/ide.c doesn't appear to work anymore with the disk image newly
> created with the 0.6.1 version.
> However my older disk images, created with previous versions of Qemu, don't
> work with 0.6.1 (it says that NTLDR is missing) but, if I comment out the line
> as per above, everything goes back to normal behavior.

I see...

Fabrice, since this change breaks compatibility, is there a way to either:

* Add a parameter to load "old" images with the old bdrv_set_geometry_hint

or

* Provide a simple script to convert from the old to new format?

One more thing Fabrice, regarding the message about the RTC. Could you
detect if the user is running 2.6.x kernel and if so, avoid showing
the RTC message please?

Thanks,
Hetz