qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?

From: Hetz Ben Hamo
Subject: [Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:14:20 +0200

Hi,

Today I installed NT 4 server and XP Pro.

In both cases I used new virtual disk partitions (4GB, and 5GB respectivly)..

As both OS's have 2 stages install, both run the first stage without
any problem (both of them were booted from their original CDs),
however, upon rebooting to the 2nd stage I had problems.. (on XP I had
the problem only after quitting qemu and restarting it)..

In NT 4 - after starting qemu (after finishing first stage install) it
refused to reboot.
in XP Pro - after restarting qemu (after fully finishing installing XP
Pro) it says that the NTLDR is missing..

in both cases, the only way to bypass this problem is by using the
-hdachs parameter..

Why? what has changed that broke the normal behavior? how can it be fixed?

Thanks,
Hetz