qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:38:03 +0100

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 10:32:29PM +0200, Johannes Martin wrote:
> Actually, that's kind of what I tried before (-serial stdio, with
> stdin/stdout redirected to a pipe). However, some programs don't like
> that. Most importantly, slirp doesn't work with it - it seems to expect a
> real tty.

Huh?  I've not played with the slirp code,  but why should it care?

I note that the misc.c file in the slirp code can use pty's internally,
but that shouldn't matter.  Just what requires that a pty be used as
a form of IPC to slirp?

Frankly,  i should be able to work with any form of byte stream.

> Sorry if I have to disappoint: I'm not sure whether the forkpty() call is
> available in Windoze. The -serial pty code is disabled for a Windows
> compile, so I did the same for my -serial exec code. If there's a windows
> guru out there who knows whether ptys are emulated in cygwin maybe you can
> test whether it will work in windoze as well.

The other problem with this for windows style programs is that most of them
(as I understand) pay no attention to stdin/stdout.  So this is a bit pointless.

BTW:  Just what sort of program do you fork off of the serial port?

DF