qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: change boot device in monitor

From: Anand Kumria
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: change boot device in monitor
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 02:05:46 +1000

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:26:43 +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Anand Kumria wrote:
>
>> Attached is a patch which allows you to change the boot device in the
>> monitor. The change won't take affect until the next 'system_reset' but
>> I've found it useful as I can specify a floppy, hard disk and cdrom and
>> switch between booting them without exiting.
>
> I like this feature! (Also your "info version").

Thanks - I hope Fabrice does also.

>> As I'm now going to be working on a way to modify the memory amount within
>> the monitor. The struct_vm would basically be the what is used for
>> savevm/loadvm. Thoughts?
>
> Well, I prefer to specify the memory on the command line. Of course, if
> you loadvm with a different size, this does not work AFAIK, but IMHO it
> does not make sense to support virtual hot-plugging of memory ;-)

The reason I want to be able to do this is to support testing installer
disks and operating systems with varying amounts of memory.  Since qemu
can be forked and have the monitor available to another process as
stdin/stdout it means I can setup regressions test for memory points.

Cheers,
Anand