qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] remark about http://www.freeoszoo.org

From: Karl Magdsick
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] remark about http://www.freeoszoo.org
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 13:47:00 -0400

As a note to anyone planning on uploading QEMU disk images to Free OS
Zoo, Free OS Zoo's suggested way of creating disk images does not (in
the general case) blank out the unused space in the disk image.  As a
result, the image will likely contain parts of deleted files from the
host OS.  This will reduce compressability of the disk images and may
cause the disk images to contian sensitive information, such as
passwords and credit card numbers.

This isn't a problem unless you think you might possibly give the disk
image to someone else in the future.

To prevent this, in the dd command, use if=/dev/zero and change the
count to be the suggested seek value.  Do not specify a seek value.
This will cause dd to take longer to create a disk image, but it will
zero out the contents of the file, rather than asking the OS to create
a file from whatever garbage is left on disk.

As much as I like your passwords, credit card numbers, and assorted
smutt, I'd rather not download them from Free OS Zoo.

-Karl