qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS/Zeta eats 100% cpu time

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS/Zeta eats 100% cpu time
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:38:46 -0300

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:27:23 +0200, Christian Wiese <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry to be imprecise. The guest (BeOS) is more or less in an idle
> state. The host (WinXP) uses 100% cpu time.

OK, so before I jump in saying contradictory statements:
On VESA/grayscale modes, anything doing rapid video refreshes will tax
the CPU. Like playing a video, watching the Chart, moving windows,
anything like that. I'm surprised that your BeOS was just sitting
idle!

> No, I don´t think so, because even if I minimize the qEmu window and
> nothing changes in BeOS (clock changes only every minute, not second),
> the host-CPU is at 100%.

This is strange, but now I have another idea: maybe it's requesting
the hardware to indeed repaint the screen with a 60 times a second, as
by the 60Hz refresh rate to which it defaults when using VESA modes.

SDL might not be handling this intelligently, or maybe it's the
graphics emulation or the Cirrus BIOS; anyway, QEMU goes idle when I
boot a console-mode OS, and goes for 100% CPU when I boot any
graphical OS, BeOS included.

> I meant:  is it possible to activate the old S3 card emulation or was it
> never finished? Because when it is possible, I can search for a driver.
> If not, I´ll try to write a Cirrus driver, but this would take some
> time, because I´m just looking into some network-driver development.

I have no idea. Sorry :)

--
"Structure is nothing if it is all you've got. Skeletons spook people
if they try to walk around on their own; I really wonder why XML does