qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Host API escape

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Host API escape
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:54:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Derek Fawcus wrote:

> Other stuff,  say cut through video/mouse/kbd support,  LFN support,
> virtual network (winsocks) can be done later,  but maybe not by me :-)

Exactly. In BasiliskII/SheepShaver jargon, that's called an "EmulOp". And
purposes cover native driver hooks (e.g. audio, ethernet), copy/paste,
Native QuickDraw acceleration, host file system access, etc.

However, this kind of optimization is specific to certain systems as you
would need to either run-time patch the OS, or provide necessary drivers
with those hooks compiled in (MoL).

The problem on x86 side is to find out a particular instruction sequence
that is not (and won't be) meaningful.