qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: resize qemu image...

From: Mark A. Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: resize qemu image...
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:16:53 +0100

> I was just curious to try to increase the size of one of my images too, I
> have just used dd and succeeded with not much problems.
> My image was 500Mo with win98 on it, resized to 1Go with
> dd if=/dev/zero of=win98.dsk seek=1024000 count=1024000.
> Boot: ok
> Dos Fdisk can add a new partition on the newly created non allocated space.

Additionally, for Linux guest operating systems, if you grow the underlying
partition for the existing filesystem you may be able to extend the existing
filesystem to seamlessly use the extra space.

Make sure you give a seek value that corresponds to the end of your virtual
disk, otherwise you'll wipe some data...  If you have the space you could
also consider making a backup of the original before playing with
resizing ;-)

Mark