qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] installing a boot loader into the disk images

From: Marcello 'R.D.O.' Magnifico
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] installing a boot loader into the disk images
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:55:24 +0200

An alternative approach would be to get a working Linux install in
QEmu, with two virtual hard drives - one containing the stock Linux distro, one containing your own. Then use the stock distro in QEmu to prepare the other disk...

Floppydistros may fit. I personally partition my disk images via a bootable Linux floppy containing the GNU PartEd. Never tried LILO or GRUB stuff, because I usually let the real distro to do the right job. If you just need a bootloader (ANY bootloader), I use GAG (http://gag.sourceforge.net/) for real machines, and find it to be very practical. Its approach implies that there's nothing else than GAG itself in the MBR; so you'll have to tell your OS'es of choice to place their LILO/GRUB/whatever in the boot sector of their own partition, and nowhere else, while installing. This might seem odd, but I never encountered yet an OS that GAG can't start; and it's quite easy and quick to get back if corrupted or overwritten, say, by a Windows reinstallation.

        yo,
        RDO