qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Solaris_x86 HOST: Precompiled binaries in pkgadd format + 9

From: Bochnig, Martin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Solaris_x86 HOST: Precompiled binaries in pkgadd format + 9 high res. Screenschots <http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:28:05 +0200

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/

Subject: Solaris_x86 HOST: Precompiled binaries in pkgadd format + 9 high res. Screenschots

Hi all,

here is what I announced around two weeks ago.

Not yet perfect (no slirp, i386-softmmu only).
But works (and I hope it will do so on your machines).
The modified Source tree is also included.
As well as an OpenDOS (yes, not FreeDOS) image I created today.
I plan to keep things online, so that every interested Solaris user (if any) can get a quick and easy solution.

Any improvements are welcome and I can / will try to add them.
Or do it for yourself and send me patches, whole packages or whatever (but still Solaris - related).

Unfortunately my time does not allow me to do any improvements by myself anymore.

Thank you,
Martin

<http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/>

QEMU - FAST! Cross Platform CPU-Emulator

Download QEMU 0.6.0 precompiled for Solaris9/10 x86 (pkgadd format)!

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/MB1Xqemu0_6_0__i386_solaris9_usr_local.pkg.gz

(The complete Solaris-ready source tree is also included.)

INSTALL:

$ cd /tmp

$ gunzip ./MB1Xqemu0_6_0__i386_solaris9_usr_local.pkg.gz

$ su

Password:

# pkgadd -d ./MB1Xqemu0_6_0__i386_solaris9_usr_local.pkg

Instructions:

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/README.Solaris

General Introduction to QEMU

QEMU is a FAST! processor emulator using dynamic translation to achieve good emulation speed.

QEMU has two operating modes:

* Full system emulation. In this mode, QEMU emulates a full system (for example a PC), including a processor and various peripherials. It can be used to launch different Operating Systems without rebooting the PC or to debug system code.

* User mode emulation (Linux host only). In this mode, QEMU can launch Linux processes compiled for one CPU on another CPU. It can be used to launch the Wine Windows API emulator (http://www.winehq.org) or to ease cross-compilation and cross-debugging.

As QEMU requires no host kernel driver to run, it is very safe and easy to use.

For system emulation, the following hardware targets are supported:

* PC (x86 processor)

* PREP (PowerPC processor)

* PowerMac (PowerPC processor, in progress)

For user emulation, x86, PowerPC, ARM, and SPARC CPUs are supported.

Please be sure to visit http://www.bellard.com/qemu

for further instructions.

Enjoy the QEMU screenshots below (I'm sure you will be impressed.):

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/GetRidOfXP.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/Linux_Mandrake_Guest.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/Linux_Mandrake_Guest_boots.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/MS-DOS7.00_CHICAGO.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/Solaris9_x86_guest_on_Solaris9x86_host.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/Solaris9_x86_guest_on_Solaris9x86_host00.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/Solaris9_x86_guest_on_Solaris9x86_host01.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/Solarisx86_DCA.jpeg

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/WinXP_home.jpeg

TODO:

Slirp / Networking under QEMU on Solaris hosts doesn't work right now.

As well as all the other guest targets (SPARC, ppc, arm etc.) do not.

That is: Not natively.

QEMU does run under Lxrun - almost no decrease in speed.

You can safely ignore Lxrun's warnings caused by (rather unimportant) system calls not yet supported by it.

The prebuilt Linux_i386 QEMU binaries available at bellard.org or via rpmsearch will work fine on Solaris x86 hosts -

with the help of the Lxrun0.9.5x system call translator.

Neither Wine or Plex86 nor Vmware will do, but QEMU does.

Do not forget to set $DISPLAY if you run lxrun using "enter_lxrun_env".

--

e-mail: address@hidden

-

Last changed: 09/07/2004, 15:36:45