qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] port to netbsd

From: David Howland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] port to netbsd
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:23:17 -0700

Well, I managed to get it to compile on NetBSD. I had to use gcc 2.95 to do it, because of the dyngen errors.

So, NetBSD can run Linux binaries, and at first, I was trying to run the 0.6.0 binaries from the frontpage. The emulator was incredibly slow. I tried putting Windows 98 in as a guest OS and basically it took hours to boot up. I figure the linux emulation was causing problems so I went about compiling it. Well, I just got it to work, and tried it again...

Still slow. Incredibly slow. There is something very wrong here. I startup qemu, it begins to boot, and I watch top to see whats eating my processor. It turns out my system is almost completely idle. qemu is technically going, as the screen does change sometimes, but its mostly just sitting there. From what I know of Windows98, i think it is testing the memory during this period of bootup. Does that sound like something that would cause this inactivity?

Suddenly, processor utilization shoots up. The guest OS is responsive again. Still not very fast, but that could just be my 5 year-old 500MHz machine.

Anyway, its compiling on NetBSD 1.6.2, should I submit a diff?

-d