qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?

From: Gianni Tedesco
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:23:29 +0100

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 05:21 -0400, Kai Cherry wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2004, at 7:34 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
>
> > Polish (nice frontend) is something that can be thrown on later once
> > the
> > core functionality is in (that means speed, accuracy, and hardware
> > emulation, in that order, IMHO...)
>
> I think this is actually a *failing* of most FOSS projects...the
> afterthought of how "regular" folks will *use* the thing.

Technically, if the primitives and operations the programmer exposes to
the uppermost level of API are sound, an effective UI that makes sense
*can* be quite simply "bolted on".

The real failing of such projects is identifying what are the
primitives, and how do they interact. The confused low level design
leads to confused top level design.

The same applies in reverse with a top-down design. That is to say, if
the top level design is confused, then the core functionality will never
work right.

> Then again, I'm a mac developer; we learn to design the solution around
> people ;)
>
> (thats a friendly jab folks... :))

That must mean you find that task of adapting software to users
requirements fun? Or you wouldn't develop in that environment right? If
so, then you are in a good position to make these kinds of changes
happen in qemu for example... ;)

--
// Gianni Tedesco (gianni at scaramanga dot co dot uk)
lynx --source www.scaramanga.co.uk/scaramanga.asc | gpg --import