qemu-devel

Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Cloop-Driver, was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KNOPPIX
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:00:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Piotr Krysik wrote:
> >
> > It can work in Windows, if you implement support
> > of cloop-compatible image format in Qemu executable.
> >
> > Just look at qcow compressed image format. Qemu
> > doesn't require any additional services from host
> > OS. The decompression is implemented by Qemu and
> > is transparent for guest.
>
> Hint: for space reasons, the cloop image is an ISO9660 formatted Linux
> system, so you probably have to have an ISO9660 enabled (not module)
> kernel, and you probably have to specify the kernel separately via
> "-kernel", as the cloop image (at least to my knowledge) does not contain
> a valid boot loader.

Okay, so I hacked together a driver which is able to read at least the
newest Knoppix image (from 3.6EN).

Only problem: When you start it with

qemu -hda /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX \
  -kernel /cdrom/boot/isolinux/linux24 \
  -initrd /cdrom/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz \
  -append root=/dev/hda

Knoppix believes it runs from the HD (installed version) and does not
recreate /etc/fstab, and then just stops.

Any Knoppix hackers out there? Maybe one can trick Knoppix into recreating
all these files nontheless?

Ciao,
Dscho